Wednesday, May 22, 2024
HomeMoviesChris Pratt Comments on Making History with the MCU's First F-Bomb in...

Chris Pratt Comments on Making History with the MCU’s First F-Bomb in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3


The new film Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is definitely a film that’s earned its PG-13 rating, pushing the boundaries of it by introducing the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s first F-bomb. In the movie, Chris Pratt‘s Star-Lord utters the curse word at a stressful time when the Guardians are concerned about the dire health of one of their own. We’ll hold back on sharing more specifics here so as not to further spoil the moment, but the swear is fitting for the scene and doesn’t feel gratuitous. It also makes history as the very first F-bomb that’s been said in any of the movies or Disney+ shows set in the MCU.

Speaking with THR, Pratt commented on having this distinction. Soon enough, he won’t be the only Marvel character dropping F-bombs in the MCU, given how Deadpool 3 is confirmed to be R-rated, but it’s still a significant moment, given how this is the first time it’s happened. That goes back to the launch of the cinematic universe in 2008 all the way up to now, and for having the honor, Pratt initially jokes that it’s “no big deal” before concurring that it’s a “special moment” for both himself and the MCU. As Pratt explains:

“I make history in this movie. I drop the first F-bomb, no big deal. I don’t know. It’s the only time I’ve ever made history in my life, so I assumed that’s what you were alluding to. Yeah, it’s a moment, it’s a special moment.”

Director James Gunn previously addressed the F-bomb ahead of the movie’s release. He revealed how it wasn’t planned, as it wasn’t scripted that way, but Gunn told Pratt on the set to add in an F-bomb, not even sure at that point it would be used. However, the way it was delivered worked for the scene, and knowing that the PG-13 rating allowed for the word to be used a single time, the director opted to keep it in the final cut. Gunn wrote on Twitter:

“You can only have one in a PG 13 movie. That said it wasn’t planned – I told Chris to add it on set and it just made the moment funnier so we kept.”

Related: Dave Bautista Is ‘Forever Grateful’ for Guardians of the Galaxy Role


Have We Seen the Last of the F-Bomb-Dropping Star-Lord?

Marvel Studios

There are no more Guardians of the Galaxy movies planned, as Gunn has moved on from Marvel Studios with new plans to focus on fleshing out the DCU with Peter Safran. But that doesn’t necessarily mean Pratt’s time in the role of Star-Lord is over. The character could still potentially show up elsewhere in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Pratt recently teased that he’s open to returning to the role, though he admits that it’d be difficult without having Gunn at the helm. As he told ComicBook.com:

“That’s so daunting. That’s the reason to not do it. I think it would have… it’s so elegant and perfect right now with the three films and so to think of moving forward, it’s really hard and without James, I don’t know how that would work. I’m open to it, but man, I don’t know.”

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is now playing in movie theaters.




This story originally appeared on Movieweb

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments